Charrette Closing Presentation
- Improve Circulation for all Modes
- Protect and Improve the Environment with every Decision
- Focus on Downtown at the Center
- Create a Partnership/Incentives Program that facilitates Redevelopment
- Housing, housing, housing particularly for the workforce
- Full Overhaul of the Unified Development Ordinance
The full presentation can be found here.
Additional comments from the public included:
- How to deal with commercial access off of main roads in interim? Need to have access for trucks, etc. from primary road
- How to deal with parking requirements?
- Until UDO is overhauled, very little can happen
- Can we get rid of UDO altogether?
How did we do?
- Great plans – a shock to the people here because of the boldness of designs. These plans will have to be modified in some ways, but we have to think differently, too.
- A truly great experience on all levels and a great way to spend taxpayer dollars. However, IMPLEMENTATION will be vital to our success in applying this plan.
- Great plan! So many large designs. It’s not really what we really expect here. Although its fantastic, I don’t think it will really be Boone anymore. It’s good, but try not to make things so large and modern. It isn’t New York City, you know! I don’t know what to think about it. It will be nicer, but it won’t be the Boone I grew up in anymore. You did OK.
What did we miss?
- Infilling of neighborhoods close to campus
- Impact of commercial development on adjacent established residential neighborhoods.
- Walks above ground to view mountains from downtown!
- Preserve night views with directed down lights!
- Underground utilities were a high priority for every group in the opening session – no mention tonight.
- Because ASU freshmen are required to live on campus, we should ban their cars thus eliminating ¼ of the campus traffic – sophomores, too. Many cities do!!!
- Please look at the area behind the hospital and Boone Golf Course known as Kellwood.
- Concerned about 6-7 story buildings on Howard destroying character of downtown
- Concern about eliminating parking requirements downtown without creating deck or decks
- If Boone wants the new roads, we have to be ready to receive the cars – there has to be ways to preserve the views as well as include more property.
- Run Daniel Boone Parkway straight across from Wilson Ridge Rd directly to 321.
- Seems very modern. That’s ok, but some are tearing down places that should be torn down, but makes it too large. Boone is a small town. We maybe should keep it that way for a while. (Not too much, but no skyscraper – 4 story, 5, 6??) Not your typical Boone. Don’t know about it.
- Make sure affordable/workforce housing is an integral component.
- Make UDO change recommendations ASAP.